The Library Creation and its history
The conceptualization of having a public library in this city (then a municipality called Rajah Buayan known as Dadiangas) starterd in 1960. There was a pressure from different sectors especially from schools to have a public library, thus, a fund raising through a stage play entitled “Heneral Santos” held at the Parish Center provided for the initial amount in putting up the library.
The municipal library of General Santos was created through a council Resolution No. 95 Series of 1960, approved by then late Mayor Jorge P. Royeca which was temporarily housed inside the Municipal Hall with Ester Gonzales as its officer-in-charge.
In October, 1966, Mrs. Lolita H. Dionio took over as librarian and was sent to the National Library in Manila for a one-month training on the different phases of library work.
In 1970, students from Mindanao State University and other student leaders from different schools in the city rallied for a separate library building. The late Mayor Antonio C. Acharon responded by requesting the city council to appropriate an amount for the construction of the library building which was constructed right in the heart of the city where it is accessible to the public. The National Library provided the reference books and other library materials.
From then on, different elected and appointed City Officials took over until the time of then Mayor Rosalita T. Nuñez that the enhancement of the City Library became its priority.
In 1992, Ordinance No. 08, Series of 1992 was passed by the City Council authored by then City Councilor Franklin Gacal, Jr. to transfer the City Library from the City Mayor’s office to the Office of the City Vice Mayor Pursuant to RA 7160 otherwise known as the Local Government Code of 1991.
The City Vice Mayors of General Santos City from the time of Vice Mayor Oscar “Boy” Reyes (1992-1995), Minda Falgui (1995-1998), Pedro B. Acharon, Jr. (1998-2001) and Florentina L. Congson (2001-2010) made sure that the city library is functional for public use.
Since then, General Santos City Public Library already won precious awards such as 2nd Runner-up for the “Linis Opisina 2011”, 3rd Place in “Best Public Library in Mindanao in 2009” and the “7th Placer in Best Public Library in the National Level 2009″.
At present, the General Santos City Public Library had a facelift after showing its signs of wear and tear over the years through the leadership of City Vice Mayor Hon. Shirlyn L. Bañas-Nograles. Her vision of a modern city public library that competes nationally has pushed to pursue projects to transform the city library and creative strategies to tackle large challenges especially on modern technologies.
Last year, the City Library catered 33,407 customers in different sections, where the Internet Section has the highest percentage of usage, followed by the Filipiniana Section, the Magazines and General Section respectively. We have strong collections of our Filipiniana Section from National Library, Fiction Books and Vertical Files (Newspaper clippings). They also conducted story telling sessions to CSWDO Day Care Center Students and Private Primary School Students for 2 sessions. We also have a 100% digitized newspapers articles of our local, national and world icons, to wit: Congressman Manny Pacquiao, Nonito Donaire, Ms. Shamcey Supsup – Miss Universe 3rd Runner-up, Philip Nadela, Melai Canteveros, Gerald Anderson, XB Gensan, and True Colors.
The City Library is also conceptualizing the installation of the Integrated Library Management System using the KOHA System which was introduced by the National Library and the Information and Technology Division that is being used by most of the Public Libraries in the Philippines. KOHA is useful as a catalog resource. It is a comprehensive tool, including modules for circulation, cataloging, acquisitions, serials, reserves, patron management, branch relationships, and more, which makes it a more desirable system than software that offers merely cataloging capabilities. The system features will lead to a more effective and efficient delivery of services.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. Who is the City Librarian?
• Mrs. Alicia A. Tagpuno – Librarian I – Officer In Charge
2. Where is the General Santos City Library?
• Udtog Matalam Street corner Senior Citizens Street
General Santos City Government Center Compound
General Santos Coty
3. What time is the Library open?
• 8:00 – 5:00 PM (No noon break)
• Monday-Friday (except holidays)
• Open to all types of customers (students, out of school youth, senior citizens and others who want to avail the services of the city library)
4. What do I need in order to enter the Library?
• Any valid I.D.s
5. How can I borrow Library materials?
• We allow all customers to borrow library materials to be taken out for photocopy purposes only on limited time.
• Those customers with valid identification cards ONLY are allowed to borrow books for photocopy. IDs used as collateral purposes and verification in case books are lost.
6. How to access or retrieve materials in the library?
• You can access or retrieve using KOHA-Integrated Library Management (KOHA-ILMS). KOHA-ILMS is a system that you can use to access and retrieve materials via ONLINE PUBLIC ACCESS CATALOG (OPAC)
7. Can I borrow library materials at home?
• We do not allow any learning or information materials to be taken home. All learning materials should be used inside the library premises ONLY. We only allow materials to be taken out for PHOTOCOPY purposes only.
8. How can I secure a library card?
• We do not issue library card. Everybody is WELCOME in the city public library and can use the facilities as long as you present any valid IDs to the custodian.
9. What are the sections of the library?
• Journal and Periodical Section
• Children’s Corner
• Local History Area (on process of strengthening)
• General References
• General Circulation
• Internet Section
• Audio Visual Room
• Filipiniana Section
• Multi Media Materials Area
• Technical Section
GENERAL SANTOS CITY PUBLIC LIBRARY
Udtog Matalam Street corner Senior Citizens Street
General Santos City Government Center Compound
General Santos City
Tel. No. (6383) 552-2228